Sunday 12 April 2015

(26/2) START HERE: Week-by-Week Unit Outline- APA UNIT


Week-by-Week Unit Outline: Analysing and Presenting an Argument

The Following is a week-by-week breakdown for each WEEK the Lessons to be covered are listed. Under each LESSON is a ‘learning intention,’ ‘Check your understanding,’ and the corresponding blog from ‘mrmunners@blogspot.com.au’

WEEK 1

Lesson 1: One Period

Learning Intention:

To understand the purpose of a Language Analysis.

Check Your Understanding:

·          Can I explain the purpose of a LA?

·          Do I understand the idea of a language analysis?

·          Do I understand why we complete LA?

Topics and (related BLOG)


Lesson 2: 1 Period

Learning Intention:

To be able to identify ITACT within an article and effectively communicate this analysis in full sentences.

Check your understanding

·          I understand how to find ITACT in an article

·          I understand what ITACT stands for and what each of the words mean.

·          I can explain how finding ITACT assists with your understanding of the article.

·          I am able to communicate my analysis regarding ITACT in full sentences.

Topics and (related BLOG)



Identifying Issues: (Identifying Issues 101)



Lesson 3: 3 Periods

Romeo and Juliet SAC

WEEK 2

Lesson 4 (2 Periods)

Learning Intention

To learn how to identify an author’s argument within an article

Check Your Understanding

·          I can identify the reasons an author is providing to support his POV

·          I can explain the supporting arguments from an opinion article

·          I can identify and communicate an author’s supporting argument in an opinion article

Topics and (Blog)

How to identify an author’s argument! ((2/2) A Tale of Three Arguments: Identification)

Lesson 5 (3 Periods)

Learning Intention

To learn what PLT’s are, how to analyse them and be able to construct a full sentence that outlines that analysis.

Check Your Understanding

·          I can construct a piece of prose that reflects my analysis of the PLTs of a particularly article

·          I understand what a PLT is

·          I understand how PLTs are intended to impact on a reader

·          I can explain why it is important to target specific readerships in my analysis

·          I can analyse how PLT’s are used to persuade the reader

·          I can communicate the analysis of PLT’s in full sentences

Topics and (Blog)



WEEK 3: (Distribution of LA CAT: Wednesday 6/5

Lesson 6 (2 Periods)

Learning Intention

To be able to analyse persuasive language and how it is intended to persuade a reader of their POV.

Check Your Understanding

         I understand how PLTs are intended to impact on a reader

         I can explain why it is important to target specific readerships in my analysis

         I can analyse how PLT’s are used to persuade the reader

         I can communicate the analysis of PLT’s in full sentences

Topics and (Blog)


Identifying PLTs and Language: 19/2 A list of PLTs

Learning Activities

PLT TEST #1

Lesson 7a (3 lessons)

Learning Intention

To learn how to put the skills we have learnt in the ‘Arguing and Presenting Arguments’ unit into a well-structured essay.

Check Your Understanding:

         Understand which skills are required for a language analysis essay.

         Understand the LA essay structure

         Be confident in putting the skills learnt into a cohesive essay

         Be able to write a LA essay

Topics and (Blog)


Putting the skills into an essay- The Cake Recipe

Week 4: (CAT Due: 7/5)

Lesson 7b (2 lessons)

Learning Intention

To be able to improve our analysis of persuasive language, how it is intended to persuade a reader of their POV and be able to communicate it in a coherent form.

Check Your Understanding

LA: Using the Learning Intention above how do you think you could check your understanding. What do you need to have achieved by the end of this lesson

         Be able to identify a PLT from an article

         Be able to analyse how PLTs are used to impact a reader

         Be able to communicate your analyse in full sentences

         Be able to answer why

Topics and (Blog)

Writing complex responses- Answering the Why?

Making sure your analysis relates to the contention and issue- Avoiding Vague Analysis

Focusing on improving your analysis- Analysis Focusing on Body Paragraphs

How to write a conclusion- Writing a Kick Arse Conclusion

Learning Activities

Analysing Images

Lesson 8 (2 Lessons)

Learning Intention

To begin annotating and analysing the CAT article and improve our understanding of the homosexual marriage issue.

Check Your Understanding

         Annotate the CAT article

         Identify ITACT for the CAT article

         Have an understanding of the homosexual marriage issue.

Topics and (Blog)

Annotating the CAT article

Peer assessment: introductions

Introduction and Analysing the image

Lesson 9 (1 Lesson)

Learning Intention

To begin/continue writing and planning the LA CAT and learn how to analyse images/cartoons

Check Your Understanding

         To have written an intro and received feedback

         To have annotated the article

         To have identified several arguments

         To have substantially planned the essay

Topics and (Blog)

Peer assessment for INTRO

How to Write a Kick Arse Intro: LA Edition

WEEK 5

Lesson 10 (2 Lessons)

Learning Intention

To reflect explicitly on the CAT and identify how we can improve our LA writing

Check Your Understanding

·          I understand what I need to improve for my CAT

·          I am aware of how I am going to improve

·          I have written an action plan to improve my writing

Topics and (Blog)

CAT Reflection worksheet and action plan

Lesson 11 (2 Lessons)

Learning Intention

Lesson 1: To use the LA CAT reflection to improve our understanding LA writing and to improve individual skills and the quality of our LA writing.

Lesson 2: To practice specific skills, based on the reflections on the CAT in completing 2 of 3 mini tasks.

Check Your Understanding

·          I can identify and describe the contention

·          I can identify, describe and analyse the tone of an article

·          I can accurately identify the issue from an article

·          I can identify how the intended audience is specific based on the contention and issue.

·          I can write an effective conclusion

·          I can effectively structure a body paragraph

Topics and (Blog)

Workshops to improve student understanding



Identifying Issues: (Identifying Issues 101)


How to write a Conclusion:

Lesson 12 (1 Lessons)

Learning Intention

To develop a process of annotation and essay planning for the LA unit

Check Your Understanding

·          I can employ a repetitive process to annotate and plan an LA essay

·          I understand how to follow the flow planning chart

·          I can use the flow planning chart to improve my essay writing

Topics and (Blog)

The LA Planning Flow Chart

Week 6

Lesson 13 (1 Lesson)

Learning Intention

To be able to annotate a LA article and identify arguments, language and techniques in preparation for writing a language analysis essay

Check Your Understanding

         I can analyse language

         I can annotate an article in 10 mins

         I know what to look for when annotating

         I can annotate and plan a language analysis essay sufficiently in preparation for the SAC and end of semester exam.

Topics and (Blog)

How to Annotate an your article

Learning Activities:

1. Quick Annotate: Andrew Charles article

2. Class Annotate: Devine article

3. Team Essay: Series of articles

Lesson 14 (1 Lesson)

Learning Intention

To mark and provide feedback for a series of sample essays and identify at least 3 techniques to be applied to our own writing

Check Your Understanding

         I can annotate an article in 5 mins

         I know what to look for when annotating

         I can focus on and analyse a specific word

         I can analyse language in an organised and coherent form (LA Structure)

         I can complete a language analysis essay to a satisfactory standard

Topics and (Blog)

How to annotate an article

Practice essays

Lesson 15 (1 Lesson)

Learning Intention

To revisit the language analysis structure and consolidate our ability to analyse persuasive devices

Check Your Understanding

Topics and (Blog)

Practice essay writing

Practice Articles on blog

Learning Activities

PLT TEST #2

Lesson 16 (1 Lesson)

Learning Intention

To improve our ability and the complexity of our analysis

Check your understanding:

         I can focus on and analyse a specific word

         I know which words to focus on and why they are important

         I can analyse language

         I can annotate an article in 5 mins

         I know what to look for when annotating

         I can construct complex analysis

Topics and (Blog)

Practice essay writing

Learning Activities

1. Quick Annotate: Sue Davis article

2. PLT TEST #3

3. Community Circle Analysis activity (Building Blocks)

Lesson 17 (1 Lesson)

Learning Intention

To use teacher and peer feedback to practice writing a Language analysis essay in preparation for the SAC/Exam

Check Your Understanding

Students to identify 3 skill areas they feel they could improve upon and phrase them as check your understanding

· I can write a LA essay

Topics and (Blog)

Practice essay writing

Learning Activities

1. Quick Annotate: Gorging the Innocent

2. PLT TEST #1

Week 7 (SAC: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday)

Lesson 18 (3 Lessons)

Language Analysis SAC: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment